Here we try to gather service instructions and other detailed information to all you DIY home mechanics. These instructions require special skills and tools so if you are not confident about doing the service by your self, please contact your local service provider.
4.Quick guide for oxidation removal from the raw aluminum frame
The Pole Bicycle frames – the Stamina and the Machine – with raw aluminum finishes maintain their appearance best when washed regularly with fresh, sweet water, preferably after every ride. Don’t leave the bike outside in rain or in high humidity overnight or for long periods of time. Store the bike in well ventilated and dry conditions.
Note! Do not consider applying any surface treatment to the frame such as anodizing, powder coat paint, Cerakote, etc. Applying any surface treatment might damage the bonding of the frame which might lead to premature failure not covered by warranty. For example, the acid bath involved in anodizing will have adverse effects on the glue used in the bonding as do the high temperatures that are part of the powder coat process.
Follow the instructions described below to keep your Pole Bicycles frame in good condition. The process described has been developed by ourselves. This is an abrasive method to remove the oxidation. Proceed with caution and remember that you are REMOVING MATERIAL from a thin-walled tube. If you do this often, too large area or remove too much material, you are risking the frame construction. If you don’t know what you are doing, please leave this to professionals. Pole is not responsible for the outcome and THIS OPERATION MIGHT VOID WARRANTY.
List of things you need:
- Norton F2504 Beartex Hands Pads or similar
- Tissue paper
- Isopropyl alcohol or brake cleaner
- Well ventilated place to work
Steps for the project:
- For this purpose, disassemble the bike from other parts if needed. It’s best to take out cabling etc, so you can work freely.
- Remember to use protective gear (safety glasses and gloves) and do this project in a well-ventilated place.
- Sand off the corroded spot from the frame with light pressure on the pad.
- Feather off some oxidation around the corroded part.
- Clean the surface with alcohol and tissues
- Wait one week (seven days) until riding the bike.
Things you should not do:
- Don’t sand off material too often. Once in the season is ok.
- Don’t treat the whole frame
- Don’t emove too much material. Just lightly on the surface
- Don’t use any machines to do this operation
- Don’t do this outside
- Don’t do this in high humidity
- Don’t touch the frame with bare hands
- Don’t use tap water within one week to clean the frame
- Don’t ride the frame for one week after doing this
5.EXT Coil replacement
If you did write your settings down before disassembly now you can readjust/recheck that you have the same settings than before the spring swap.
You can also find EXT owner and service manual from here.